Thursday, December 4, 2008

SunPower Afrique Update - Synopsis

For all of you that are indeed interested in the evolution of SunPower Afrique but don't have the time to read my rambling blogs (I understand entirely), I hope that this will be of interest to you...

SunPower Afrique is moving forward fantastically in Togo. I have been doing lots of research on materials and our workforce, and have found our team of technicians that will be trained during the pilot installation. They are a great bunch - young, motivated and forward-thinking. I have met community organizers, entrepreneurs and individuals who are interested in being involved and am developing a widespread network on the ground. All the while, I am learning how to keep my cards close to my chest and being very careful not to get taken advantage of - this is a very complex and difficult task and I learn much every day.

I have met with the head of the National Microfinance Committee and the country's renewable energy experts, who have all expressed high levels of support for the project and shared important advice, political and technical, with me. Things are all falling into place...

I have been working out the details of the 'Solar Loan,' which will be offered by FECECAV (and eventually other MFIs) after their solar installation is complete. For me, this is one of the most exciting parts of the project because it truly means the expansion of the use and knowledge of solar in Togo.

I have also been preparing my application to do business in Togo, with the help of my FECECAV colleagues, which we will submit next week tothe Minister of the Interior.

Everyone anxiously awaits the pilot installation and, for those who haven't already, the arrival of Mister Jon, who has become somewhat of a hero in Kpalime and beyond, in the spring of 2009.

I see more and more every day the impact this project is going to have on this country and I continue to fall more and more in love with Togo...

I look forward to sharing more when I return mid-December. Please be in touch and thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your interest and support.

All my best,
Kira

1 comment:

modoviko said...

My Dear Kira!
I have read your last three postings with much interest! I'm honestly blown away by your writing, your determination and, most of all the depth with which you understand Togo, my Dear Poor Country :-( Make no mistake about it, though,...always proud of being a Togolese (should go without saying:-) Anyway, before I go on further, Kira, I challenge you to chronicle all of these and write a book! I mean it!!! And you have the first buyer: that'll be me!!! Kira, I do not think that all of these fine observations the country, its ways of doing things, the people, etc...should "go to waste." Again, I sincerely believe that a book ought to come out of this (sooner than later...hahaha). But of course, I know that the Solar Afrique project comes first and you have my UTMOST RESPECT for that!
I have not been so good at reading all of your postings (my bad), but I'm sure you understand my schedule issues (if I can blame it on that...to some extent) and will forgive me for that. Anyway, as mentioned above, I found your latest postings simply fascinating...and while I'll be looking forward to talking to you about them and the trip when you get back to Uncle Sam's, I wish to make a few observation/advice in the meantime.
I wanted to start off by saying that Lare is your man! I've never met the guy and when I hear Lare, I can tell he's from the North (Dapaong) as you mentioned. After reading what you wrote about him and his advice to you, I beleive he'll make a sincere person to deal with and consult with.
With respect to the two reasons you mentioned as why Solar energy had not yet been florishing in Togo, I beleive that while it's true that the manpower is not there yet (in terms of technicians, consultants,...), I beleive that if the installation are simple enough, even the most illeterate people will be taught how to use it and who to refer to when something goes wrong with it. For example, I know someone right now in Togo who owns a "Cabine telephonique...not in Lome). Currently, his cabine is the only one working where he lives because his is "solar powered" and every other cabine in the village is "kaput." (at least for now and if you know what I mean:-) He does not have to do much to keep it going and right now pretty much the entire village (except the Jealous ones...and that, too, I know you understand it "togostyle") is thank him for having a cabine that's working.
Kira, I can write more on this, but I think it'll be more productive for both of us to talk about these technicalities when you get back.
Finally, I couldn't help but LOL at your "Nigerian Scammers" story. It's true and scary that Lome may be "the place" where lots of these people operate out of. Wouldn't be nice to have a government that actually denies safe haven to these types of activities?! Anyway, another of your "LOL stories" is that of Takougnadi eating fufu with a fork and knife...even I don't do that! Do I? Hahaha! Anyway, I must say that I do not remember seing day-to-day togolese eating la pate or fufu with those ustensils. If it's done off-handly, that's another story. But if it's systematic, that's another one!
Kira, I have to stop here...busy tomorrow! I'll be looking to TTYS when you get back! Have fun, be safe and have a nice trip back!
Hugs and Cheers,
Dodji

PS: It's been 8 years since I left Togo...and beside my very brief visit about a year ago, I miss much from the place! I can't tell you how much reading your blog helps me reconnect!Tkx a bunch!
And...oh...BTW...no time 4 editing!:-)